STUFFED ANIMAL SLEEPOVER Saturday, February 28 from 4 – 5:30 pm
Kids, put on your PJ’s and bring your favorite stuffed animal to Carbondale Public Library for a “Stuffed Animal Sleepover” on Saturday, February 28 from 4:00 – 5:30 pm. We’ll enjoy a bedtime story, video, game and refreshments. Tuck in your animal and leave them overnight at the library. Pick up your stuffed friend the next day on Sunday, March 1 from 1:00 – 5:30 pm and see all the fun they had overnight.
This program is for kids up to ~4th grade and free tickets are available at the library circulation desk.
Senior Coffee Club
Join us March 3, 9:30-10:30 a.m. for a mental exercise program is called Fit Wits. We welcome Susan Sloop from the University of Illinois Extension. In celebration of Brain Health Awareness month, she will be presenting activities to enhance memory and thinking and discuss ways to keep the brain healthy.
Library Reopens Sunday 2/22
We’ve survived the flood! The library will reopen Sunday, February 22nd at 1pm. No overdue fines will charged for items due while we were closed. We suffered no collection damage. All is well. Welcome back!
Download eBooks from eRead Illinois or Southern Illinois Libraries on the GO!
You can now download eBooks and audiobooks from two different services. All you need is your library card and pin number. You can check out up to 5 at a time from each. No late fees. View More Information…
Story Time Starts Tuesday, Feb. 10 at 10:00 am
Mark your calendar! Family style story time starts on Tuesday, February 10 at 10:00 am. We hope to see you there! No registration necessary.
Upcoming Children’s Programs Winter/Spring 2015
- Family-Style Story Times. Tuesdays at 10:00 am, Feb. 10-April 7 & April 21-28. No registration needed.
- Paws to Read with Lily, the Therapy Dog. Visit the library circulation desk for available dates and times.
- ‘Making Music’ with the Belletones. Saturdays at 10:00 am, Jan. 24, Feb. 28, March 28, April 25 & May 16. No registration needed.
- Partners in Reading. Wednesday or Thursday 4:00 – 5:00 pm, February 25 – April 23 Each child signs up for 1 hour per week. Register at the Circulation Desk through Feb 20 or register by phone at 457-0354, ext. 315 or by email at email@example.com
- Stuffed Animal Sleepover: Saturday, February 28 4:00 – 5:30 pm Pick Up: Sunday, March 1 from 1:00 – 5:30 pm. Free tickets available February 1.
- Storyteller Marlene Rivero as Emma Thompson Saturday, March 21 at 1:00 pm. Free tickets available February 1.
- Special Edible Book Storytime Tuesday, March 31 at 10:00 am. No registration needed.
- Special Traveling Exhibit at Carbondale Public Library “Harlem Renaissance” January 31 — February 13
- Storyteller Marilyn Kinsella as “Taleypo” Presenting “SNUG AS A BUG”: Saturday, April 18 at 2:00 pm. Free tickets available February 1.
- “All About You!” (ages 7 and up accompanied by at least one family member). March 28, April 11 & 25 2 – 3:30 pm. Registration begins February 1.
- Project Next Generation (5th — 8th Grades). Mondays & Wednesdays 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm, Feb.2 — Mar.30
- Poetry Writing for Kids (4th—8th Grades). Wednesdays 4:30 – 5:30 pm Feb. 18, 25, March 4, 18, 25, April 1, 8. Ongoing registration begins February 1.
Computer Help Schedule for February
- OPEN HELP: Get help with any technology issue. Learn to use your computer, cell phone or tablet. See how to use your email or Facebook. Get help with downloading ebooks and audiobooks. Practice on our computers or bring your own. Anyone is welcome. Thursdays 2/5, 2/12, 2/19, 2/26 anytime from 9:00-2:00pm
- DOWNLOADING EBOOKS: Learn to download from our two services, eRead Illinois 3M Cloud Library and Southern Illinois Libraries on the Go. Tuesday 2/3 1:00-2:00pm
- DIGITAL CAMERAS: Take pictures and learn how to put them on the computer. We will practice together and see how it works. Bring your camera, cords and anything else. Tuesday 2/10 2:30-3:30pm
- MOVING PICTURES & FILES: Learn how to select, copy or cut and paste pictures and files. First step for organizing those pictures. Bring your laptop or use ours. All are welcome. Tuesday 2/17 1:00-2:00pm
- IPAD 101: Get to know your iPad. Learn how to install and remove apps, videos and pictures. See what the iPad can do for you. All are welcome. Tuesday 2/24 2:30-3:30am
Bookmark Library Newsletter
See what’s going on at the library! Read the January-Fenruary Bookmark Library Newsletter!
Teen Calendar for January
- 1/6— Teen Tuesday (4-5pm): Laptops and chill!
- 1/20 — Teen Tuesday (4-5pm): Movie (title TBA)
- 1/29 — Teen Advisory Board Meeting 6-7pm
Wednesday Noon Book Club
If you are interested in joining the book club, it meets on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at noon. Anyone is welcome! You can view the Reading List for January 2015 – December 2015.
Brown Bag and a Book Discussion Group
Brown Bag and a Book Discussion Group is a group of book lovers that meets together every Monday at the Carbondale Public Library. Discussions are friendly and we try not to take ourselves too seriously. We keep discussions limited to one hour starting promptly at noon. Everyone is welcome. You do not have to be a Carbondale Public Library cardholder to be a part of the group. Just bring your brown bag lunch and one book to discuss/share to the Library’s Meeting Room on Monday afternoons at noon!
Family Vacation Night!
Feb. 2 at The Science Center, Mar. 2 at The Boys and Girls Club, Apr. 6 at The University Mall, May 4 at The Boys and Girls Club, June 1 at Turley Park, Aug. 3 at Evergreen Park.
Family Vacation Nights are sponsored by the Positive Youth Development Coalition (PYD), a coalition of organizations serving area youth. For more information about Family Vacation Night or PYD call Diana Brawley Sussman at the Carbondale Public Library 457-0354 ext 13 or Ramona Girtman at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Jackson & Perry Counties / Centerstone 618-457-6703 ext 216
Tax Documents for Taxpayers with Disabilities
Did you know the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides online tax products and services for taxpayers with disabilities? Individuals may visit the IRS Accessibility page (www.irs.gov/uac/IRS.gov-Accessibility) to download forms, publications, and other products and to access tax-related videos in English and American Sign Language. The IRS recommends checking the website often as it is continuously adding more products to assist persons with disabilities.
Kindles Available For Check Out
Did you know the library now has Kindle Touch ebook readers available at the library? All you need is a library card. Each are ready to go with 6 best sellers already on them. You can also create an account and load your own ebooks to the device from Southern Illinois Libraries on the Go.
Need help? There are online tutorials and instructions available. Come to any of the library’s Open Help Workshops. We can walk you through it. Give it a try it!
For Sale At The Library
Reusable Shopping Bags are $3 each. Choose from 3 different styles and colors. Logos created by patrons.
Available while supplies last.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE LIBRARY!
Morningstar Mutual Funds Now Available Online
Morningstar Mutual Funds (paper version) is being discontinued at the library. You can now access the online version from home or at the library.
- Click here if you are using a library computer.
- Click here to access from anywhere using your library card.
You will have access to their classic one-page summaries, as well as detailed mutual fund, stock, and exchange-traded fund analysed reports, real-time data, and investment tools.
This useful website and many others can be found on our website by clicking on the “Research” tab, located at the top of your screen.
Explore Your Family History at the Library
The Library’s Genealogy Resources: We have Ancestry.com, Heritage Quest, and African American Heritage Quest available. This useful website and many others can be found on our website by clicking on the “Research” tab, located at the top of your screen.
List of Scholarships for African American and Minority Students
We now have a List of Scholarships for African American and Minority Students for your use. Please let us know if you see that any of the links do not work or if you know of any scholarships that we should add.
MUZZY ONLINE teaches English, French, Spanish, Italian or German. It’s the fun way to learn a foreign language.
MUZZY ONLINE, the award-winning BBC Language Course for Children is now available to CPL patrons through the library’s website using their 14-digit library card number. MUZZY ONLINE uses functional language, repetition and “spiraling”. Words and phrases are first introduced and then reintroduced many times in several new contexts. MUZZY ONLINE uses a natural immersion approach surrounding learners with visual, aural and contextual language, modeled on the way we learn our first language. It’s perfect for beginning to intermediate language learners of all ages.
Accelerated Reading List at AR BookFinder
AR BookFinder allows users to search for books in the Accelerated Reader (AR) program used by local schools. Books may be searched by title, author, reading level, interest level and point value.
Support Carbondale Public Library with a Schnucks Customer Card!
Pick up your Schnucks Customer Card at Carbondale Public Library.
Present your card to the cashier every time you shop at Schnucks.
When you shop, a percentage of money will be donated to Carbondale Public Library. Read More…
Online Payments and Donations
You can now pay fines, pay for lost materials, or make monetary donations online. All you need is your library card and credit card. It’s easy! You can now use your credit card at the library. Read more…