Teen Writer’s Workshop, November 12, 19, December 3 & 10
The Carbondale Public Library will host a series of FREE teen writer’s workshops for students in grades 9-12. Students will work with Heather Weatherwax, from the Saluki Writer’s Project to hone their fiction writing skills. Workshop topics include character and plot development, setting tone and atmosphere in stories, and general fiction writing skills. By the end of the 4 weeks, participants will write a story draft and have a folder full of story ideas for future writing.
- WHO: Teens in grades 9-12.
- WHERE: Carbondale Public Library, 405 W. Main Street, Carbondale IL 62901
- WHEN: 4:00-5:30 on Thursdays—November 12 & 19, December 3 &10, 2015
Contact Jennifer Johansson, Teen Program Coordinator.
Library Holiday Closures
The library will be closed on the following dates. The book drop located in the parking lot will be available for returns. We hope that you have a great holiday season!
- Thursday through Saturday, December 24, 25, 26 – Christmas
- Thursday, December 31, close at 3:00pm – New Year’s Eve
- Friday, January 1 – New Year’s Day
Currently On Display: Chinese Painting and Calligraphy Exhibition by Rongzhen Fu
We now have the Chinese Painting and Calligraphy Exhibition by Rongzhen Fu on display at the library till January 5.
Rongzhen Fu, born in P. R. China, has loved Chinese painting and calligraphy since she was a child. She hopes to promote the art style through this exhibition as well as be an inspiration for future generations.
See our facebook page for more photos.
NOVEMBER EVENTS for TEENS (13-18)
- DIY Book Page Ornaments – Dec. 1st 4-5 PM It’s time to deck the halls! We’ll create holiday ornaments using old book pages. Enjoy hot cocoa and cookies while we upcycle and repurpose. All materials will be provided and no skill is required.
- Minecraft Mastermind – Dec. 8th 4-5 PM Creepers! Come play Minecraft Pocket Edition on the iPads. Share game tips and tricks while eating Minecraft themed snacks. Not into Minecraft? Come anyway, hang out with us ,(we’re fun!) and play other iPad games.
- General Information about Teen Events at CPL Teen events at the Library are totally FREE and usually happen in the Library Meeting Room from 4-5 pm every Tuesday throughout the year. Programming is geared for participants ages 13-18. Registration is not required for Teen Tuesday events unless specifically requested. For more information, questions or to join the Teen Events email list, please contact Jennifer Johansson, Teen Program Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
November & December Events (Adult Services):
- Grant & Nonprofit Information Workshops: Tuesday, December 2 from 2:00-3:30pm
- Community Forum Series – Challenges of Poverty in Carbondale : Tuesday, December 15 at 5:30pm
- Autism-In-Love: Saturday, November 21 at 2:30pm (Future Dates: January 16 “In Football We Trust”, February 13 “Black Panthers”, & April 16 “Peace Officer”)
- Brown Bag & A Book Discussion Group: December 7, 14, 21 & 28 from noon-1:00pm
- Book Club: December 9 at noon
- Storytellers Network: Tuesday, December 1, 6:00-7:45pm
- Saluki Writers’ Program: Saturday, December 12 from 9:30-noon
- Knitting: Mondays, December 7, 14, 21 & 28 from 6-7:45pm
- Senior Coffee Club: Tuesday, December 1 from 9:30-10:30am
- Open Help: Thursdays, December 3 anytime from 9-2:00pm (December 10 will have shorter hours of 9:00-11:30.)
Bookmark Library Newsletter
See what’s going on at the library! Read the November-December 2015 Library Bookmark Newsletter!
Fall 2015 Children’s Programs:
- Family-Style Story Times. Join Ms. Pat & Ms. Wendy for Weekly Story Times for Kids of All Ages! No Registration Necessary! Tuesdays 10:00 am Oct. 13-Dec. 1
- ‘Making Music’ with the Belletones. Sing-a-long with Kids’ Classics. For All Ages. No registration needed. Saturdays at 10:00 am, Sept. 26, Oct. 24, Nov. 14, Dec. 19
- Young Poets’ Workshops (4th-8th Grades) Saluki Writers Project (Taught by SIU MFA Poets). On-going registration starts Sept 21. Wednesdays 4:30-5:30 pm, Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21, 28, Nov. 4, 18
- Storybook Harpist Milliece Dunkel Musically Reads Picture Books! No registration – drop in! Monday, October 12 at 2:00 pm
- Meet Elizabeth Keckley, Mrs. Lincoln’s African American Dressmaker & Friend (portrayed by Kathryn Harris) Friday, Oct. 9 at 2:00 pm
- Lego Family Vacation Night Legos! Lego stuff! Snacks! Monday, Nov. 2 5:30-7:00 pm
- All About You! Personal History Workshops for Kids Ages 7 Years & Up (with at least 1 adult family member) Explore your family history through hands-on activities, stories and snacks. Attend One Saturday or All! Register beginning Oct. 1 October 10, 17 & November 7, 10:00-11:30 am
- Read with Lily, the Therapy Dog. Practice reading this Fall with Lily and her trainer, Abby! (For 1st grade and up) (Parent/guardian present) Sign-up begins Sept 21. Available: 4:30-5:30 on 9/22, 10/6, 10/20, 11/17 & 12/1
- Holiday Family Movie: INSIDE OUT. Pixar-Disney five star release! PG Rated! Free tickets available Dec. 1. Wed., Dec. 30 at 1:00 pm
- Meet “Ladybug Girl” Family Reading Night. Crafts, snacks, prizes. Read With Your Family! Free tickets available Oct 1 — For all ages! Thursday, Nov. 19 at 6:00 pm
- “Partners in Reading” A free program for kids grades 1 – 5. Kids will explore books and reading activities one-to-one with their reading partners (SIUC students). Partners will select reading materials based on individual interests. Each child signs up for 1 hour/week Register at Circulation Desk through Oct. 9. Also, register by phone at 457-0354, ext. 315 or by email at email@example.com Oct. 14 – Dec. 10 Wed. or Thurs. from 4 – 5:00 pm
FAMILY VACATION NIGHT SCHEDULE
THE CARBONDALE HISTORICAL QUILT
The Carbondale Historical Quilt hangs is on display on the north ramp at the library. Finished in 1983, this quilt took 27 people two years to complete. The quilt is made up of 24 squares that depict important historical people, places and events from Carbondale, Illinois. Read More…
Have a library card from another town?
We no longer have a 5 item limit.
Now you can check out as many items as Carbondale card holders:
5 DVDs, 5 VHS, 5 video games, no limit on books and magazines!
Download eBooks from eRead Illinois or Southern Illinois Libraries on the GO!
You can now download eBooks and audiobooks from two different services. All you need is your library card and pin number. You can check out up to 5 at a time from each. No late fees. View More Information…
Wednesday Noon Book Club
If you are interested in joining the book club, it meets on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at noon. Anyone is welcome! You can view the Reading List for January 2015 – December 2015.
Brown Bag and a Book Discussion Group
Brown Bag and a Book Discussion Group is a group of book lovers that meets together every Monday at the Carbondale Public Library. Discussions are friendly and we try not to take ourselves too seriously. We keep discussions limited to one hour starting promptly at noon. Everyone is welcome. You do not have to be a Carbondale Public Library cardholder to be a part of the group. Just bring your brown bag lunch and one book to discuss/share to the Library’s Meeting Room on Monday afternoons at noon!
Tax Documents for Taxpayers with Disabilities
Did you know the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides online tax products and services for taxpayers with disabilities? Individuals may visit the IRS Accessibility page (www.irs.gov/uac/IRS.gov-Accessibility) to download forms, publications, and other products and to access tax-related videos in English and American Sign Language. The IRS recommends checking the website often as it is continuously adding more products to assist persons with disabilities.
Kindles Available For Check Out
Did you know the library now has Kindle Touch ebook readers available at the library? All you need is a library card. Each are ready to go with 6 best sellers already on them. You can also create an account and load your own ebooks to the device from Southern Illinois Libraries on the Go.
Need help? There are online tutorials and instructions available. Come to any of the library’s Open Help Workshops. We can walk you through it. Give it a try it!
For Sale At The Library
Reusable Shopping Bags are $3 each. Choose from 3 different styles and colors. Logos created by patrons.
Available while supplies last.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE LIBRARY!
Morningstar Mutual Funds Now Available Online
Morningstar Mutual Funds (paper version) is being discontinued at the library. You can now access the online version from home or at the library.
You will have access to their classic one-page summaries, as well as detailed mutual fund, stock, and exchange-traded fund analysed reports, real-time data, and investment tools.
This useful website and many others can be found on our website by clicking on the “Research” tab, located at the top of your screen.
Explore Your Family History at the Library
The Library’s Genealogy Resources: We have Ancestry.com, Heritage Quest, and African American Heritage Quest available. This useful website and many others can be found on our website by clicking on the “Research” tab, located at the top of your screen.
List of Scholarships for African American and Minority Students
We now have a List of Scholarships for African American and Minority Students for your use. Please let us know if you see that any of the links do not work or if you know of any scholarships that we should add.
MUZZY ONLINE teaches English, French, Spanish, Italian or German. It’s the fun way to learn a foreign language.
MUZZY ONLINE, the award-winning BBC Language Course for Children is now available to CPL patrons through the library’s website using their 14-digit library card number. MUZZY ONLINE uses functional language, repetition and “spiraling”. Words and phrases are first introduced and then reintroduced many times in several new contexts. MUZZY ONLINE uses a natural immersion approach surrounding learners with visual, aural and contextual language, modeled on the way we learn our first language. It’s perfect for beginning to intermediate language learners of all ages.
Accelerated Reading List at AR BookFinder
AR BookFinder allows users to search for books in the Accelerated Reader (AR) program used by local schools. Books may be searched by title, author, reading level, interest level and point value.
Support Carbondale Public Library with a Schnucks Customer Card!
Pick up your Schnucks Customer Card at Carbondale Public Library.
Present your card to the cashier every time you shop at Schnucks.
When you shop, a percentage of money will be donated to Carbondale Public Library. Read More…
Online Payments and Donations
You can now pay fines, pay for lost materials, or make monetary donations online. All you need is your library card and credit card. It’s easy! You can now use your credit card at the library. Read more…