Make Music with the Belletones
Join us on the following Saturdays for some family fun with music. Children love to sing along and make music with shakers. No registration needed. Fun for kids of all ages. Saturdays, September 16, October 21, November 18, and December 16 from 10 – 10:30am
CREATE AND HIDE KINDNESS ROCKS
Help us promote random acts of kindness. Mondays in September, we’ll be creating inspirational rocks to be hidden around the library grounds and in the community.
Join us each Monday in September, where we will have rocks and art supplies provided from 9am to 7pm. Feel free to bring your own rocks or supplies, and just join in on the fun. All ages welcome and no registration is required.
Visit thekindnessrocksproject.com for more information.
Project Next Generation (PNG) is a FREE technology based program at the Carbondale Public Library for students in grades 5-8. The fall theme is Code Club: Art & Design. Using Scratch and CS First (free web-based coding tools), participants will gain computer programming experience while exploring art & design. No previous computer experience is necessary. An after school snack is provided. Read More About PNG…
PNG Dates & Times Mondays, 4:00-5:30 pm (Participants may arrive as early as 3:30.)
October 2 – November 27, 2017
Fall Children’s Program Preview 2017 – A more detailed Book Worm Newsletter will be published late-September.
- FAMILY-STYLE STORY TIMES – Tuesdays at 10 am: Oct. 10 – Dec. 5 Stories, songs, rhymes & fun followed by snack & a craft.
- FREE PARENTING WORKSHOPS – 1st Wed. each month 10:30 – 11:00 am Presented by Dr. Erica Jowett-Hirst. Oct. 4 (Dealing with Picky Eaters), Nov.1 (Toilet Training), Dec. 6 (Improving Language & Communication)
- FAMILY READING NIGHT WITH PINKALICIOUS – Thursday, Nov. 16 at 6:00 pm• Share reading time together. • Bring your family to the library to hear stories about Pinkalicious & have your photo taken with her. • Prizes, refreshments and more.
- KIDS POETRY WRITING WORKSHOPS – Dates & Times TBA. For 4th – 8th graders.After school writing workshops hosted by SIUC English graduate students.
- MAKING MUSIC WITH THE BELLETONES Saturdays, September 16, October 21, November 18, and December 16 from 10 – 10:30am
- READING WITH LILY – Dates TBA Kids in 1st Grade & up read with Lily, the therapy dog.
- PROJECT NEXT GENERATION (PNG) — Mondays, 4:00-5:30 PM (Participants may arrive as early as 3:30.) OCTOBER 2 – NOVEMBER 27, 2017. Project Next Generation (PNG) is a FREE technology based program at the Carbondale Public Library for students in grades 5-8. The fall theme is Code Club: Art & Design. Using Scratch and CS First (free web-based coding tools), participants will gain computer programming experience while exploring art & design. No previous computer experience is necessary. An after school snack is provided. Read More About PNG and Register…
UPCOMING EVENTS for TEENS (12-18)
- Teen Anime Club: Are you an anime fan? Would you like to meet others who are too? We invite you to join our teen Anime Club which meets the first Wednesday of every month. This month we’ll make candy sushi and watch anime! Wednesday, September 6, 4-5 PM
- Maker Meetups: Calling all teen artists, crafters & makers. Share your skills and interests with other DIY’ers on the 2nd Tuesday of each month. In September, we’ll be making cord “tacos” and custom covered ear buds. All supplies (including earbuds!) are provided. Tuesday, September 12, 4-5 PM
- Game On: Join us for some friendly competition and a chance to win a Game Stop gift card. Enter our teen MARIO KART COMPETITION on the Wii U. Matches will begin at 4:00 PM sharp and every entrant is guaranteed to play at least two matches. Don’t want to play? Feel free to come and watch. THIS EVENT IS FOR TEENS 12-18 ONLY. Tuesday, September 19, 4-5:30 PM
- Table Top Gaming: We just bought a bunch of new board games and we want to try them out. Play an old favorite, or find a new one. Lots of friendly competition to be had! Games and snacks will be provided. Tuesday, September 26, 4-5 PM
- Teen Writing Workshop: Heather Weatherwax from the Saluki Writer’s Project will lead a series of creative writing workshops for students currently in grades 9-12. Participants will learn how to properly critique writing and provide constructive criticism for fellow writers. All genres and levels of teen writers welcome. Thursdays 4—5:30 PM, September 14 Through November 16
Join the library BOOK CLUB! We meet on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from noon – 1:00pm. Anyone is welcome!
SEPTEMBER 13 O’Neil, Cathy. Weapons of math destruction: how big data increases inequality and threatens democracy. 259 pages.
OCTOBER 11 Mukherjee, Siddhartha. The Gene: An Intimate History. 592 pages.
NOVEMBER 8 Gladwell, Malcolm. Outliers. 336 pages.
Bookmark Library Newsletter
See what’s going on at the library! Read the September-October 2017 Library Bookmark Newsletter!
September Programs for Adults
- Kindness Rocks Project: Mondays, Sept 18, & 25 from 9-7:00pm
- Brown Bag & A Book Discussion Group: Meets Mondays from noon-1:00pm
- Saluki Writers’ Program: Saturday, September 30 from 9:30-noon
- Knitting: Meets each Monday from 6-7:45pm
- Open Tech Help: Thursday, September 28 anytime from 9-2:00pm
NOW ACCEPTING BOOK DONATIONS
Yes, we will take your book donations! Bring ’em on! Our storage building is fixed and we’re ready to accept your used books.
- Please call ahead if you need to bring a large collection.
- Please, no mold or mildew (If books were stored in a damp basement or a hot garage, or if they smell funny–no thanks.)
Thank you for all of your support!
MUZZY CLUB teaches English, French, Spanish, Italian or German. It’s the fun way to learn a foreign language.
MUZZY CLUB, the award-winning BBC Language Course for Children is now available to CPL patrons through the library’s website using their 14-digit library card number. MUZZY CLUB uses functional language, repetition and “spiraling”. Words and phrases are first introduced and then reintroduced many times in several new contexts. MUZZY CLUB uses a natural immersion approach surrounding learners with visual, aural and contextual language, modeled on the way we learn our first language. It’s perfect for beginning to intermediate language learners of all ages.
PRINT FROM ANYWHERE!!!
You can now print from any device (laptop, cell phone or tablet), yours or ours, home or at the library. You will pick up the prints from our library circulation desk. Printing is in black/white and $0.10 per page. Give it a try!
Brown Bag and a Book Discussion Group
Brown Bag and a Book Discussion Group is a group of book lovers that meets together every Monday at the Carbondale Public Library. Discussions are friendly and we try not to take ourselves too seriously. We keep discussions limited to one hour starting promptly at noon. Everyone is welcome. You do not have to be a Carbondale Public Library cardholder to be a part of the group. Just bring your brown bag lunch and one book to discuss/share to the Library’s Meeting Room on Monday afternoons at noon!
- See What Titles We Have Been Sharing… (updated 2/27/17)
3M Cloud Library – New and improved ebook and digital audiobook service!
Now you can check out ebooks and digital audiobooks from one convenient place, the 3M Cloud Library! Our e-book consortium is moving its entire collection from Overdrive (Southern Illinois Libraries on the Go) to the 3M Cloud Library (formerly called eRead Ilinois). This will provide you with access to more than 32,000 e-books! These ebooks and digital audiobooks can also be found when searching the online SHARE catalog. To download the new service or for more 3M Cloud Library information, go to http://ebook.3m.com. If you need assistance or a walk-through on how to use the new service, come to Open Help. (You can see our calendar available dates and times.) When signing in for the first time, remember to choose “Illinois Heartland Library System” as your library.
THE CARBONDALE HISTORICAL QUILT
The Carbondale Historical Quilt hangs is on display on the north ramp at the library. Finished in 1983, this quilt took 27 people two years to complete. The quilt is made up of 24 squares that depict important historical people, places and events from Carbondale, Illinois. Read More…
Have a library card from another town?
We no longer have a 5 item limit.
Now you can check out as many items as Carbondale card holders:
5 DVDs, 5 VHS, 5 video games, no limit on books and magazines!
Tax Documents for Taxpayers with Disabilities
Did you know the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides online tax products and services for taxpayers with disabilities? Individuals may visit the IRS Accessibility page (www.irs.gov/uac/IRS.gov-Accessibility) to download forms, publications, and other products and to access tax-related videos in English and American Sign Language. The IRS recommends checking the website often as it is continuously adding more products to assist persons with disabilities.
For Sale At The Library
Reusable Shopping Bags are $3 each. Choose from 3 different styles and colors. Logos created by patrons.
Available while supplies last.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE LIBRARY!
Morningstar Mutual Funds Now Available Online
Morningstar Mutual Funds (paper version) is being discontinued at the library. You can now access the online version from home or at the library.
You will have access to their classic one-page summaries, as well as detailed mutual fund, stock, and exchange-traded fund analysed reports, real-time data, and investment tools.
This useful website and many others can be found on our website by clicking on the “Research” tab, located at the top of your screen.
Explore Your Family History at the Library
The Library’s Genealogy Resources: We have Ancestry.com, Heritage Quest, and African American Heritage Quest available. This useful website and many others can be found on our website by clicking on the “Research” tab, located at the top of your screen.
List of Scholarships for African American and Minority Students
We now have a List of Scholarships for African American and Minority Students for your use. Please let us know if you see that any of the links do not work or if you know of any scholarships that we should add.
Accelerated Reading List at AR BookFinder
AR BookFinder allows users to search for books in the Accelerated Reader (AR) program used by local schools. Books may be searched by title, author, reading level, interest level and point value.
Support Carbondale Public Library with a Schnucks Customer Card!
Pick up your Schnucks Customer Card at Carbondale Public Library.
Present your card to the cashier every time you shop at Schnucks.
When you shop, a percentage of money will be donated to Carbondale Public Library. Read More…
Online Payments and Donations
You can now pay fines, pay for lost materials, or make monetary donations online. All you need is your library card and credit card. It’s easy! You can now use your credit card at the library. Read more…