The library will be closed Friday, April 17. The book drop located in the library parking lot will be open.
Storyteller – Marilyn Kinsella as Taleypo
Storyteller – Marilyn Kinsella as Taleypo “Snug as a Bug!”
Saturday, April 18 at 2:00 pm
Stories! Songs ! Puppets! Buggy Craft and Snack to follow
FREE TICKETS AT LIBRARY CIRCULATION DESK
7th Annual Teen Poetry Contest
Are you an aspiring teen poet and live in the Carbondale area? Enter the library’s 7th annual Teen Poetry Contest to showcase your talents and win CASH prizes! Just fill out an entry form, submit along with your poem(s), and come to our Teen Poetry Event on Tuesday, May 19 at 4:00pm. Entry forms can be printed from the link below or stop by the library to pick one up. Entries are due May 5.
SPRING into fun at the Carbondale Public Library!
We have a lot of great programs scheduled for spring. All programs are free. No experience required. All supplies provided. We hope that you can join us!
FEATURED ART WORKSHOPS
- Print Making: Create a unique custom stamp to create some really neat artwork. Sunday, April 19 from 3:30-4:30pm
- Perspective Painting: Learn to create cityscapes and landscapes using perfect perspective. Create your very own work of art! Sunday, April 26 from 3:30-4:30pm
- Paper-Cut Collage Inspired by Henri Matisse: Learn about Henri Matisse and create a beautiful collage. Lorena Masterson, local artist, shows how to cut and mix various shapes and mediums to create your very own unique masterpiece. Tuesday, April 28 from 5:30-6:30pm.
- Jewelry Making: Make your very own jewelry with Jeanie Kernagham. Learn how to use various jewelry making tools. Create your own necklace. Monday, May 4 from 6:00-7:00pm.
- Pinterest 101 & Craft: Learn how to use Pinterest to find craft making instructions and more. We will have supplies for you to create your very own craft. Saturday, May 23 from 2:00-3:00pm.
MORE SCHEDULED PROGRAMS
- Brown Bag & A Book Discussion Group: Mondays, April 20, 27, May 4, 11, 18 from noon-1:00pm.
- Book Club: Wednesday, May 13.
- Senior Coffee Club: Tuesday, May 5 at 9:30-10:30am.
- Knitting: Mondays, April 20, 27, May 4, 11, 18 at 6:00pm-8:00pm.
- “Limited Partnership” May 2 at 2:30pm.
- “Much Ado About Nothing” May 6 at 5:30pm.
- Open Help: Thursdays April 16, 23, 30, May 7, 14, 21, 28 anytime from 9-2:00pm
Book Sale provided by the Friends of Carbondale Public Library
- Friday, April 24, 2015 4pm-6pm Friends Preview Sale (for Friends members or $5 admission)
- Saturday, April 25, 2015 8am-3pm The Big Sale!
- Sunday, April 26, 2015 1pm-4pm Everything Half Price Sale
Senior Coffee Club
Meets first Tuesday of each month, 9:30-10:30am.
On May 5, join local artist Lorena Masterson to creating your very own Huichol inspired masterpiece, simply using yarn and paint.
All About You: Personal History Workshops for Kids
Kids! Discover who you are through hands-on, interactive, creative activities at three sessions of “All About You!” at Carbondale Public Library on Saturday, April 11 and 25 from 2:00 – 3:30 pm.
Kids ages seven years and older should attend with at least one adult family member.
Activities will be led by Kara Dunkel. There will be different activities at each session. Register for one, two or all sessions at the library circulation desk or call (618)457-0354.
Community Cinema Film Shown Saturday, May 2 at 2:30 pm
Film Limited Partnership by Thomas G. Miller and Kirk Marcolina. After falling in love, a Filipino American and an Australian in 1975 became one of the world’s first same-sex couples to legally marry. The pioneering couple’s fight for justice raged on for 40 years, paving the way for the eventual defeat of the Defense of Marriage Act. Discussion follows with local experts. Join us Saturday, May 2 at 2:30 pm. More Program Information…
Bookmark Library Newsletter
See what’s going on at the library! Read the March-April Bookmark Library Newsletter!
Download eBooks from eRead Illinois or Southern Illinois Libraries on the GO!
You can now download eBooks and audiobooks from two different services. All you need is your library card and pin number. You can check out up to 5 at a time from each. No late fees. View More Information…
Upcoming Children’s Programs Spring 2015
- Family-Style Story Times. Tuesdays at 10:00 am, Feb. 10-April 7 & April 21-28. No registration needed.
- Paws to Read with Lily, the Therapy Dog. Visit the library circulation desk for available dates and times.
- ‘Making Music’ with the Belletones. Saturdays at 10:00 am, April 25 & May 16. No registration needed.
- Storyteller Marilyn Kinsella as “Taleypo” Presenting “SNUG AS A BUG”: Saturday, April 18 at 2:00 pm. Free tickets available February 1.
- “All About You!” (ages 7 and up accompanied by at least one family member). March 28, April 11 & 25 2 – 3:30 pm. Registration begins February 1.
Wednesday Noon Book Club
If you are interested in joining the book club, it meets on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at noon. Anyone is welcome! You can view the Reading List for January 2015 – December 2015.
Brown Bag and a Book Discussion Group
Brown Bag and a Book Discussion Group is a group of book lovers that meets together every Monday at the Carbondale Public Library. Discussions are friendly and we try not to take ourselves too seriously. We keep discussions limited to one hour starting promptly at noon. Everyone is welcome. You do not have to be a Carbondale Public Library cardholder to be a part of the group. Just bring your brown bag lunch and one book to discuss/share to the Library’s Meeting Room on Monday afternoons at noon!
Family Vacation Night!
May 4 at The Boys and Girls Club, June 1 at Turley Park, Aug. 3 at Evergreen Park.
Family Vacation Nights are sponsored by the Positive Youth Development Coalition (PYD), a coalition of organizations serving area youth. For more information about Family Vacation Night or PYD call Diana Brawley Sussman at the Carbondale Public Library 457-0354 ext 13 or Ramona Girtman at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Jackson & Perry Counties / Centerstone 618-457-6703 ext 216
Tax Documents for Taxpayers with Disabilities
Did you know the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides online tax products and services for taxpayers with disabilities? Individuals may visit the IRS Accessibility page (www.irs.gov/uac/IRS.gov-Accessibility) to download forms, publications, and other products and to access tax-related videos in English and American Sign Language. The IRS recommends checking the website often as it is continuously adding more products to assist persons with disabilities.
Kindles Available For Check Out
Did you know the library now has Kindle Touch ebook readers available at the library? All you need is a library card. Each are ready to go with 6 best sellers already on them. You can also create an account and load your own ebooks to the device from Southern Illinois Libraries on the Go.
Need help? There are online tutorials and instructions available. Come to any of the library’s Open Help Workshops. We can walk you through it. Give it a try it!
For Sale At The Library
Reusable Shopping Bags are $3 each. Choose from 3 different styles and colors. Logos created by patrons.
Available while supplies last.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE LIBRARY!
Morningstar Mutual Funds Now Available Online
Morningstar Mutual Funds (paper version) is being discontinued at the library. You can now access the online version from home or at the library.
- Click here if you are using a library computer.
- Click here to access from anywhere using your library card.
You will have access to their classic one-page summaries, as well as detailed mutual fund, stock, and exchange-traded fund analysed reports, real-time data, and investment tools.
This useful website and many others can be found on our website by clicking on the “Research” tab, located at the top of your screen.
Explore Your Family History at the Library
The Library’s Genealogy Resources: We have Ancestry.com, Heritage Quest, and African American Heritage Quest available. This useful website and many others can be found on our website by clicking on the “Research” tab, located at the top of your screen.
List of Scholarships for African American and Minority Students
We now have a List of Scholarships for African American and Minority Students for your use. Please let us know if you see that any of the links do not work or if you know of any scholarships that we should add.
MUZZY ONLINE teaches English, French, Spanish, Italian or German. It’s the fun way to learn a foreign language.
MUZZY ONLINE, the award-winning BBC Language Course for Children is now available to CPL patrons through the library’s website using their 14-digit library card number. MUZZY ONLINE uses functional language, repetition and “spiraling”. Words and phrases are first introduced and then reintroduced many times in several new contexts. MUZZY ONLINE uses a natural immersion approach surrounding learners with visual, aural and contextual language, modeled on the way we learn our first language. It’s perfect for beginning to intermediate language learners of all ages.
Accelerated Reading List at AR BookFinder
AR BookFinder allows users to search for books in the Accelerated Reader (AR) program used by local schools. Books may be searched by title, author, reading level, interest level and point value.
Support Carbondale Public Library with a Schnucks Customer Card!
Pick up your Schnucks Customer Card at Carbondale Public Library.
Present your card to the cashier every time you shop at Schnucks.
When you shop, a percentage of money will be donated to Carbondale Public Library. Read More…
Online Payments and Donations
You can now pay fines, pay for lost materials, or make monetary donations online. All you need is your library card and credit card. It’s easy! You can now use your credit card at the library. Read more…