Job Opening: Shelver
8-21 hours per week (estimated). $10/hour. Application Deadline by 8:00pm on Tuesday, August 4, 2015. Apply at Carbondale Public Library (405 W. Main St.Carbondale, IL 62901).
Legally Blonde at the Library – Tuesday August 4th – 1:30 – 2:00
Every summer SIU’s McLeod Summer Playhouse stages a musical production with a cast made entirely of local high school students. This year they performed Legally Blonde the Musical. The cast is coming to the Library to perform several of the musical numbers from the show.
This is an all ages event, so bring your friends, siblings, parents. The performance will take place downstairs in the Children’s area.
Fishing at the Library – Thursday, August 6 at 6:00pm
Learn all about fishing with Ethan Stephenson from IDNR Urban Fishing Program. At this free, all ages fishing clinic you will learn how to set up a rod and reel, learn about different types of fish and the bait used to catch them, learn where fishing is permitted locally and how to obtain a fishing license. We will also be practicing casting. August 6 at 6:00pm.
AUGUST EVENTS for TEENS (13-18)
- Legally Blonde Musical Review – August 4, 1:30-2:00pm (ALL AGES!) Join us for an afternoon of song and dance with the All Southern High School Project cast of Legally Blonde. The show will take place downstairs in the Children’s area. No ticket is required for this all ages event!
- CRAFTERNOON – August 11, 4-5:00pm Coloring is a huge trend and is a great way to reduce stress. Let’s get together for some good ole’ fashion coloring! We’ll supply the markers, crayons, colored pencils and coloring pages. All you need to do is come and have fun.
- Additional Teen Tuesdays Additional Teen Tuesdays Tuesday, August 18, 4-5:00pm – Activity to be announced Tuesday, August 25, 4-5:00pm – Activity to be announced
- Need more info or have questions? Contact Jennifer Johansson, Teen & Youth Program Director, email@example.com
August Programs and Workshops for Adults (over 19)
- Beat the Heat and Celebrate a Unique August Holiday: Join us each week in celebrating some wacky August holidays. Visit the glass display case at the library to learn more.
- Fishing: Learn all about fishing with Ethan Stephenson from IDNR Urban Fishing Program. At this free, all ages fishing clinic you will learn how to set up a rod and reel, learn about different types of fish and the bait used to catch them, learn where fishing is permitted locally and how to obtain a fishing license. We will also be practicing casting. August 6 at 6:00pm.
- Brown Bag & A Book Discussion Group: Select any book or dvd (yours or the library’s) to share. Tell us what you liked or didn’t like. You are also welcome to bring your lunch or a snack. Anyone is welcome. Very fun group. Meets each Monday. August 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 from noon-1:00pm.
- Book Club: Meets the second Wednesday of each month at noon. Check our website for a complete 2015 Book Reading List.
- August 12-“The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt” by Eleanor Roosevelt. Located at 921 Roosevelt, Eleanor. 454 pages.
- Senior Coffee Club: Seniors please join us each month for coffee, doughnuts and learning. A different topic will be presented each month. Meets on the first Tuesday of each month from 9:30-10:30am. Next meeting is August 4 and the topic is “Games.”
- Saluki Writers’ Program: Free fiction workshop for adults. Discuss the techniques used in published short stories with fellow writers, and take turns giving and receiving feedback on current writing projects. The group meets once a month. For schedule and to get the next story, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the library. Next meeting is August 8 from 9-noon.
- Knitting: Come and be a part of the Knit-Niks. No experience required. Meets each Monday. August 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 from 6:00-7:45pm.
- Open Help: Get help with any technology issue. Learn to use your computer, cell phone or tablet. See how to use your email or Facebook. Get help with downloading ebooks and audiobooks. Practice on our computers or bring your own. Anyone is welcome. Thursdays August 6, 13, 20, 27 anytime from 9-2:00pm.
Bookmark Library Newsletter
See what’s going on at the library! Read the July-August 2015 Library Bookmark Newsletter!
Have a library card from another town?
We no longer have a 5 item limit.
Now you can check out as many items as Carbondale card holders:
5 DVDs, 5 VHS, 5 video games, no limit on books and magazines!
Download eBooks from eRead Illinois or Southern Illinois Libraries on the GO!
You can now download eBooks and audiobooks from two different services. All you need is your library card and pin number. You can check out up to 5 at a time from each. No late fees. View More Information…
Wednesday Noon Book Club
If you are interested in joining the book club, it meets on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at noon. Anyone is welcome! You can view the Reading List for January 2015 – December 2015.
Brown Bag and a Book Discussion Group
Brown Bag and a Book Discussion Group is a group of book lovers that meets together every Monday at the Carbondale Public Library. Discussions are friendly and we try not to take ourselves too seriously. We keep discussions limited to one hour starting promptly at noon. Everyone is welcome. You do not have to be a Carbondale Public Library cardholder to be a part of the group. Just bring your brown bag lunch and one book to discuss/share to the Library’s Meeting Room on Monday afternoons at noon!
Family Vacation Night!
June 1 at Turley Park, Aug. 3 at Evergreen Park.
Family Vacation Nights are sponsored by the Positive Youth Development Coalition (PYD), a coalition of organizations serving area youth. For more information about Family Vacation Night or PYD call Diana Brawley Sussman at the Carbondale Public Library 457-0354 ext 13 or Ramona Girtman at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Jackson & Perry Counties / Centerstone 618-457-6703 ext 216
Tax Documents for Taxpayers with Disabilities
Did you know the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides online tax products and services for taxpayers with disabilities? Individuals may visit the IRS Accessibility page (www.irs.gov/uac/IRS.gov-Accessibility) to download forms, publications, and other products and to access tax-related videos in English and American Sign Language. The IRS recommends checking the website often as it is continuously adding more products to assist persons with disabilities.
Kindles Available For Check Out
Did you know the library now has Kindle Touch ebook readers available at the library? All you need is a library card. Each are ready to go with 6 best sellers already on them. You can also create an account and load your own ebooks to the device from Southern Illinois Libraries on the Go.
Need help? There are online tutorials and instructions available. Come to any of the library’s Open Help Workshops. We can walk you through it. Give it a try it!
For Sale At The Library
Reusable Shopping Bags are $3 each. Choose from 3 different styles and colors. Logos created by patrons.
Available while supplies last.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE LIBRARY!
Morningstar Mutual Funds Now Available Online
Morningstar Mutual Funds (paper version) is being discontinued at the library. You can now access the online version from home or at the library.
You will have access to their classic one-page summaries, as well as detailed mutual fund, stock, and exchange-traded fund analysed reports, real-time data, and investment tools.
This useful website and many others can be found on our website by clicking on the “Research” tab, located at the top of your screen.
Explore Your Family History at the Library
The Library’s Genealogy Resources: We have Ancestry.com, Heritage Quest, and African American Heritage Quest available. This useful website and many others can be found on our website by clicking on the “Research” tab, located at the top of your screen.
List of Scholarships for African American and Minority Students
We now have a List of Scholarships for African American and Minority Students for your use. Please let us know if you see that any of the links do not work or if you know of any scholarships that we should add.
MUZZY ONLINE teaches English, French, Spanish, Italian or German. It’s the fun way to learn a foreign language.
MUZZY ONLINE, the award-winning BBC Language Course for Children is now available to CPL patrons through the library’s website using their 14-digit library card number. MUZZY ONLINE uses functional language, repetition and “spiraling”. Words and phrases are first introduced and then reintroduced many times in several new contexts. MUZZY ONLINE uses a natural immersion approach surrounding learners with visual, aural and contextual language, modeled on the way we learn our first language. It’s perfect for beginning to intermediate language learners of all ages.
Accelerated Reading List at AR BookFinder
AR BookFinder allows users to search for books in the Accelerated Reader (AR) program used by local schools. Books may be searched by title, author, reading level, interest level and point value.
Support Carbondale Public Library with a Schnucks Customer Card!
Pick up your Schnucks Customer Card at Carbondale Public Library.
Present your card to the cashier every time you shop at Schnucks.
When you shop, a percentage of money will be donated to Carbondale Public Library. Read More…
Online Payments and Donations
You can now pay fines, pay for lost materials, or make monetary donations online. All you need is your library card and credit card. It’s easy! You can now use your credit card at the library. Read more…