WE NEED YOUR INPUT! PLEASE TAKE OUR SURVEY! WIN PRIZES!
The Carbondale Public Library is requesting your feedback about our programs, service and space. If you live in the area, please take a moment to complete our survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2017ProgramAndServiceSurvey
Three lucky respondents will win a canvas tote bag and a book of their choice from the book sale rack! Thanks to MLIS student Paula McNally for designing this survey for us!
Make Music with the Belletones
Join us on the following Saturdays for some family fun with music. Children love to sing along and make music with shakers. No registration needed. Fun for kids of all ages. Saturday, December 16 from 10 – 10:30am
“HANDS-ON HOMESCHOOLING” Workshop Series, Tuesdays at 6:00 pm
Join us as Renee Schwartz compares the Montessori and Waldorf Methods in a free series of 10 workshops at the library. Each 45-minute workshop will be valuable to homeschooling parents, school teachers and students of education focused on elementary and middle school aged children.
Offered weekly on Tuesdays from 6 – 6:45 pm, October 3 through December 12, 2017. Each session is a short presentation and demonstration of the featured method followed by exploration, discussion and practice of the technique. No registration is required. Attend one, several or all sessions.
November 21 – Montessori Grammar Materials
November 28 – Montessori Geography Materials
December 5 – Montessori Mathematics Materials, part I
December 12 – Montessori Mathematics Materials, part II
UPCOMING EVENTS for TEENS (12-18)
- TEEN ANIME CLUB Tuesday 11/28, 4-5 PM You asked and we listened! We’ve got 2 dates on the calendar for Anime Club this month. We’ll watch anime on our Crunchyroll account, play an anime themed game, and eat Japanese snacks.
- TEEN GAME ON Tuesday, 11/21, 4-5:30 PM Join us for some friendly competition and a chance to win a Game Stop gift card in our Super Smash Bros competition. All participants guaranteed to play at least 2 matches.
Adult Services Program Schedule for November
- Brown Bag & A Book Discussion Group: Bring a book to share and discuss. Meets Mondays from noon-1:00pm
- Knitting: Any skill level. Meets each Monday from 6-7:45pm
- Open Tech Help: Get help with using technology such as the Internet, using your phone, help applying for jobs, etc. Thursday, November 30 anytime from 9-2:00pm
Bookmark Library Newsletter
See what’s going on at the library! Read the November-December 2017 Library Bookmark Newsletter!
Affordable Care Act Health Insurance
Open enrollment November 1 – December 15, 2017
Register online at Get Covered Illinois
The Official Health Marketplace https://getcovered.illinois.gov/en
Need help? Shawnee Health Service provides Assistance with Affordable Care Act Insurance registration: 618-519-9900 Medicare: 618-985-8322
Fall Children’s Programs
- FAMILY-STYLE STORY TIMES – Tuesdays at 10 am: Oct. 10 – Dec. 5 Stories, songs, rhymes & fun followed by snack & a craft.
- MAKING MUSIC WITH THE BELLETONES Saturdays, November 18, and December 16 from 10 – 10:30am
- FREE PARENTING WORKSHOPS – Presented by Dr. Erica Jowett-Hirst. Meets the first Wednesday of each month from 10:30 – 11:00 am. Dec 6 topic Improving Language & Communication.
- Beauty and the Beast (2017) HOLIDAY FAMILY MOVIE – Wednesday, December 27 at 1:00pm. Disney’s Live Action Fairy Tale! Rated PG. No tickets required. FREE POPCORN!
- KIDS POETS’ WORKSHOPS (for 4th – 8th graders) After school writing workshops hosted by SIUC English graduate students. Nov 29, & Dec 6.
- HANDS-ON HOMESCHOOLING – Free workshops for parents, teachers, & students of education. Discover and compare Montessori and Waldorf education methods for elementary and middle school ages. Presented by Renee Schwartz. Tuesdays at 6:45pm, Oct 3 through Dec 12.
- PARTNERS IN READING Oct 11 – Dec 7, Wed or Thurs from 4:00 – 5:00pm.
- PROJECT NEXT GENERATION (PNG) — Mondays, 4:00-5:30 PM (Participants may arrive as early as 3:30.) OCTOBER 2 – NOVEMBER 27, 2017. Project Next Generation (PNG) is a FREE technology based program at the Carbondale Public Library for students in grades 5-8. The fall theme is Code Club: Art & Design. Using Scratch and CS First (free web-based coding tools), participants will gain computer programming experience while exploring art & design. No previous computer experience is necessary. An after school snack is provided. Read More About PNG and Register…
NOW ACCEPTING BOOK DONATIONS
Yes, we will take your book donations! Bring ’em on! Our storage building is fixed and we’re ready to accept your used books.
- Please call ahead if you need to bring a large collection.
- Please, no mold or mildew (If books were stored in a damp basement or a hot garage, or if they smell funny–no thanks.)
Thank you for all of your support!
MUZZY CLUB teaches English, French, Spanish, Italian or German. It’s the fun way to learn a foreign language.
MUZZY CLUB, the award-winning BBC Language Course for Children is now available to CPL patrons through the library’s website using their 14-digit library card number. MUZZY CLUB uses functional language, repetition and “spiraling”. Words and phrases are first introduced and then reintroduced many times in several new contexts. MUZZY CLUB uses a natural immersion approach surrounding learners with visual, aural and contextual language, modeled on the way we learn our first language. It’s perfect for beginning to intermediate language learners of all ages.
PRINT FROM ANYWHERE!!!
You can now print from any device (laptop, cell phone or tablet), yours or ours, home or at the library. You will pick up the prints from our library circulation desk. Printing is in black/white and $0.10 per page. Give it a try!
Brown Bag and a Book Discussion Group
Brown Bag and a Book Discussion Group is a group of book lovers that meets together every Monday at the Carbondale Public Library. Discussions are friendly and we try not to take ourselves too seriously. We keep discussions limited to one hour starting promptly at noon. Everyone is welcome. You do not have to be a Carbondale Public Library cardholder to be a part of the group. Just bring your brown bag lunch and one book to discuss/share to the Library’s Meeting Room on Monday afternoons at noon!
- See What Titles We Have Been Sharing… (updated 2/27/17)
3M Cloud Library – New and improved ebook and digital audiobook service!
Now you can check out ebooks and digital audiobooks from one convenient place, the 3M Cloud Library! Our e-book consortium is moving its entire collection from Overdrive (Southern Illinois Libraries on the Go) to the 3M Cloud Library (formerly called eRead Ilinois). This will provide you with access to more than 32,000 e-books! These ebooks and digital audiobooks can also be found when searching the online SHARE catalog. To download the new service or for more 3M Cloud Library information, go to http://ebook.3m.com. If you need assistance or a walk-through on how to use the new service, come to Open Help. (You can see our calendar available dates and times.) When signing in for the first time, remember to choose “Illinois Heartland Library System” as your library.
THE CARBONDALE HISTORICAL QUILT
The Carbondale Historical Quilt hangs is on display on the north ramp at the library. Finished in 1983, this quilt took 27 people two years to complete. The quilt is made up of 24 squares that depict important historical people, places and events from Carbondale, Illinois. Read More…
Have a library card from another town?
We no longer have a 5 item limit.
Now you can check out as many items as Carbondale card holders:
5 DVDs, 5 VHS, 5 video games, no limit on books and magazines!
Tax Documents for Taxpayers with Disabilities
Did you know the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides online tax products and services for taxpayers with disabilities? Individuals may visit the IRS Accessibility page (www.irs.gov/uac/IRS.gov-Accessibility) to download forms, publications, and other products and to access tax-related videos in English and American Sign Language. The IRS recommends checking the website often as it is continuously adding more products to assist persons with disabilities.
For Sale At The Library
Reusable Shopping Bags are $3 each. Choose from 3 different styles and colors. Logos created by patrons.
Available while supplies last.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE LIBRARY!
Morningstar Mutual Funds Now Available Online
Morningstar Mutual Funds (paper version) is being discontinued at the library. You can now access the online version from home or at the library.
You will have access to their classic one-page summaries, as well as detailed mutual fund, stock, and exchange-traded fund analysed reports, real-time data, and investment tools.
This useful website and many others can be found on our website by clicking on the “Research” tab, located at the top of your screen.
Explore Your Family History at the Library
The Library’s Genealogy Resources: We have Ancestry.com, Heritage Quest, and African American Heritage Quest available. This useful website and many others can be found on our website by clicking on the “Research” tab, located at the top of your screen.
List of Scholarships for African American and Minority Students
We now have a List of Scholarships for African American and Minority Students for your use. Please let us know if you see that any of the links do not work or if you know of any scholarships that we should add.
Accelerated Reading List at AR BookFinder
AR BookFinder allows users to search for books in the Accelerated Reader (AR) program used by local schools. Books may be searched by title, author, reading level, interest level and point value.
Support Carbondale Public Library with a Schnucks Customer Card!
Pick up your Schnucks Customer Card at Carbondale Public Library.
Present your card to the cashier every time you shop at Schnucks.
When you shop, a percentage of money will be donated to Carbondale Public Library. Read More…
Online Payments and Donations
You can now pay fines, pay for lost materials, or make monetary donations online. All you need is your library card and credit card. It’s easy! You can now use your credit card at the library. Read more…