Job Opening: Shelver
8-21 hours per week (estimated). $10/hour. Application Deadline by 8:00pm on Tuesday, August 4, 2015. Apply at Carbondale Public Library (405 W. Main St.Carbondale, IL 62901).
Legally Blonde at the Library – Tuesday August 4th – 1:30 – 2:00
Every summer SIU’s McLeod Summer Playhouse stages a musical production with a cast made entirely of local high school students. This year they performed Legally Blonde the Musical. The cast is coming to the Library to perform several of the musical numbers from the show.
This is an all ages event, so bring your friends, siblings, parents. The performance will take place downstairs in the Children’s area.
Bookmark Library Newsletter
See what’s going on at the library! Read the July-August 2015 Library Bookmark Newsletter!
JULY EVENTS for TEENS (13-18)
This month’s teen activities are inspired by the hit summer blockbuster Jurassic World. Enjoy weekly FREE events with a dino theme. All teens aged 13-18 are welcome!
- Movie & Popcorn – July 7th, 4-6 Join us for a screening of Jurassic Park (PG-13), the original dinosaur thriller that inspired Jurassic World. Enjoy movie-style popcorn and soda while you watch 127 minutes of dino-packed action! No ticket required.
- CRAFTERNOON – July 14, 4-5:30 We won’t be stuffing any dead animals, but we will be making two cool dinosaur crafts! We’ll provide all of the supplies, and you’ll go home with some cool decor for your room. Supplies are limited. Contact Jennifer Johansson to register.
- WDBX Radio Show – July 21st & 22nd Last month a group of teens got together to plan a radio show and now it’s time to broadcast it live! We’ll be on 91.1 WDBX on Wednesday, July 22nd from 6:30-8 PM. If you would like to be an “on air personality” during our radio show, please plan on attending a brief meeting at the Library on Tuesday, July 21st from 4-5 PM. If you would like to be on air but cannot attend this meeting, please contact Jennifer.
- Teen Advisory Board – July 30th, 5-6 PM Have a say in what goes on at the Library! Help us plan teen activities for the August and September. We’ll have some snacks, and plan our weekly Teen Tuesday events. New members always welcome!
Currently On Display:
FAMILY-STYLE STORY TIMES Tuesdays at 10:00 am
Join us each Tuesday for FAMILY-STYLE STORY TIMES. No registration required. We hope to see you there!
Summer Programs and Workshops for Adults (over 19)
- Adult Summer Reading Program: June 12 – July 24.
- Art with an Artiste: Sundays, July 12, & 19, 1:30-3:00 pm.
- Brown Bag & A Book Discussion Group: July 13, 20, 27 from noon-1:00pm.
- Book Club: Meets June 8, 13, 27 from 1:30-2:30pm.
July 8 – “Six Amendments: how and why we should change the Constitution” by John Paul Stevens (177 pages).
- “You Can’t Judge A Book By Its Movie” Book Group: Meets July 13, 27 from 1:30-2:30pm.
July 13 – “To Kill a Mockingbird” book by Harper Lee (384 pages), 1962 film (129 min).
July 27 – “The Hundred-Foot Journey” by Richard Morais (272 pages), 2014 film (122 min).
- Knitting: Meets each Monday from 6:00pm-7:45pm. July 13, 20, 27.
- “AGAINST ALL THE ODDS” film by Sandra Pfeifer. Saturday, July 18 at 2:30pm.
- Open Help: Thursdays July 9, 16, 23 anytime from 9-2:00pm. (No Open Help July 2 & 30).
Have a library card from another town?
We no longer have a 5 item limit.
Now you can check out as many items as Carbondale card holders:
5 DVDs, 5 VHS, 5 video games, no limit on books and magazines!
Download eBooks from eRead Illinois or Southern Illinois Libraries on the GO!
You can now download eBooks and audiobooks from two different services. All you need is your library card and pin number. You can check out up to 5 at a time from each. No late fees. View More Information…
Wednesday Noon Book Club
If you are interested in joining the book club, it meets on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at noon. Anyone is welcome! You can view the Reading List for January 2015 – December 2015.
Brown Bag and a Book Discussion Group
Brown Bag and a Book Discussion Group is a group of book lovers that meets together every Monday at the Carbondale Public Library. Discussions are friendly and we try not to take ourselves too seriously. We keep discussions limited to one hour starting promptly at noon. Everyone is welcome. You do not have to be a Carbondale Public Library cardholder to be a part of the group. Just bring your brown bag lunch and one book to discuss/share to the Library’s Meeting Room on Monday afternoons at noon!
Family Vacation Night!
June 1 at Turley Park, Aug. 3 at Evergreen Park.
Family Vacation Nights are sponsored by the Positive Youth Development Coalition (PYD), a coalition of organizations serving area youth. For more information about Family Vacation Night or PYD call Diana Brawley Sussman at the Carbondale Public Library 457-0354 ext 13 or Ramona Girtman at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Jackson & Perry Counties / Centerstone 618-457-6703 ext 216
Tax Documents for Taxpayers with Disabilities
Did you know the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides online tax products and services for taxpayers with disabilities? Individuals may visit the IRS Accessibility page (www.irs.gov/uac/IRS.gov-Accessibility) to download forms, publications, and other products and to access tax-related videos in English and American Sign Language. The IRS recommends checking the website often as it is continuously adding more products to assist persons with disabilities.
Kindles Available For Check Out
Did you know the library now has Kindle Touch ebook readers available at the library? All you need is a library card. Each are ready to go with 6 best sellers already on them. You can also create an account and load your own ebooks to the device from Southern Illinois Libraries on the Go.
Need help? There are online tutorials and instructions available. Come to any of the library’s Open Help Workshops. We can walk you through it. Give it a try it!
For Sale At The Library
Reusable Shopping Bags are $3 each. Choose from 3 different styles and colors. Logos created by patrons.
Available while supplies last.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE LIBRARY!
Morningstar Mutual Funds Now Available Online
Morningstar Mutual Funds (paper version) is being discontinued at the library. You can now access the online version from home or at the library.
You will have access to their classic one-page summaries, as well as detailed mutual fund, stock, and exchange-traded fund analysed reports, real-time data, and investment tools.
This useful website and many others can be found on our website by clicking on the “Research” tab, located at the top of your screen.
Explore Your Family History at the Library
The Library’s Genealogy Resources: We have Ancestry.com, Heritage Quest, and African American Heritage Quest available. This useful website and many others can be found on our website by clicking on the “Research” tab, located at the top of your screen.
List of Scholarships for African American and Minority Students
We now have a List of Scholarships for African American and Minority Students for your use. Please let us know if you see that any of the links do not work or if you know of any scholarships that we should add.
MUZZY ONLINE teaches English, French, Spanish, Italian or German. It’s the fun way to learn a foreign language.
MUZZY ONLINE, the award-winning BBC Language Course for Children is now available to CPL patrons through the library’s website using their 14-digit library card number. MUZZY ONLINE uses functional language, repetition and “spiraling”. Words and phrases are first introduced and then reintroduced many times in several new contexts. MUZZY ONLINE uses a natural immersion approach surrounding learners with visual, aural and contextual language, modeled on the way we learn our first language. It’s perfect for beginning to intermediate language learners of all ages.
Accelerated Reading List at AR BookFinder
AR BookFinder allows users to search for books in the Accelerated Reader (AR) program used by local schools. Books may be searched by title, author, reading level, interest level and point value.
Support Carbondale Public Library with a Schnucks Customer Card!
Pick up your Schnucks Customer Card at Carbondale Public Library.
Present your card to the cashier every time you shop at Schnucks.
When you shop, a percentage of money will be donated to Carbondale Public Library. Read More…
Online Payments and Donations
You can now pay fines, pay for lost materials, or make monetary donations online. All you need is your library card and credit card. It’s easy! You can now use your credit card at the library. Read more…