“A Day in the Life: Kids and Seniors Share Stories” Book Release Party and Art Exhibit
You are invited to a Book Release Party and Art Exhibit celebrating the authors and illustrators of “A Day in the Life: Kids and Seniors Share Stories”. Join us on Wednesday, February 4th at 5:30 pm located at the Carbondale Public Library. Refreshments will be served. Friends and family members are welcome. Each author will receive a copy of the book. This project was funded by the Ezra Jack Keats Mini-Grant Program for Public Libraries and Public Schools, awarded to the Carbondale Public Library in partnership with the Boys & Girls Club and Senior Adult Services. For more info, contact Diana Brawley Sussman, Library Director 618-457-0354, email@example.com
Story Time Starts Tuesday, Feb. 10 at 10:00 am
Mark your calendar! Family style story time starts on Tuesday, February 10 at 10:00 am. We hope to see you there! No registration necessary.
Upcoming Children’s Programs Winter/Spring 2015
- Family-Style Story Times. Tuesdays at 10:00 am, Feb. 10-April 7 & April 21-28. No registration needed.
- Paws to Read with Lily, the Therapy Dog. Visit the library circulation desk for available dates and times.
- ‘Making Music’ with the Belletones. Saturdays at 10:00 am, Jan. 24, Feb. 28, March 28, April 25 & May 16. No registration needed.
- Partners in Reading. Wednesday or Thursday 4:00 – 5:00 pm, February 25 – April 23 Each child signs up for 1 hour per week. Register at the Circulation Desk through Feb 20 or register by phone at 457-0354, ext. 315 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stuffed Animal Sleepover: Saturday, February 28 4:00 – 5:30 pm Pick Up: Sunday, March 1 from 1:00 – 5:30 pm. Free tickets available February 1.
- Storyteller Marlene Rivero as Emma Thompson Saturday, March 21 at 1:00 pm. Free tickets available February 1.
- Special Edible Book Storytime Tuesday, March 31 at 10:00 am. No registration needed.
- Special Traveling Exhibit at Carbondale Public Library “Harlem Renaissance” January 31 — February 13
- Storyteller Marilyn Kinsella as “Taleypo” Presenting “SNUG AS A BUG”: Saturday, April 18 at 2:00 pm. Free tickets available February 1.
- “All About You!” (ages 7 and up accompanied by at least one family member). March 28, April 11 & 25 2 – 3:30 pm. Registration begins February 1.
- Project Next Generation (5th — 8th Grades). Mondays & Wednesdays 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm, Feb.2 — Mar.30
- Poetry Writing for Kids (4th—8th Grades). Wednesdays 4:30 – 5:30 pm Feb. 18, 25, March 4, 18, 25, April 1, 8. Ongoing registration begins February 1.
Project Next Generation (PNG) Starts February 2
Project Next Generation is FREE and is for 5th-8th grade students. We have loads of activities planned. Participants will be using laptops, ipads, cameras and more. No skills required. To sign up, visit the library or simply email Wendy Schoof (email@example.com). We’ll save your child a spot!
Workshops are Mondays and Wednesdays, 4:00 – 5:30 pm, February 2 – March 30. Participants are welcome to arrive after 3:00 pm.
- Lego WEDO Challenge & Intro to GIMP: February 2, 4, 9 & 11 (2 weeks). LEGO – Build using the challenge theme and rules. Use the robotic pieces and more. Great practice working in a small team of two. GIMP – This is free software that is very similar to Photoshop. Learn the basics: select, cut, copy, adjusting colors and working with layers.
- President’s Day (Library Closed): February 16. No PNG this day.
- GIMP Project: February 18, 23, 25, March 2 & 5 (2.5 weeks). GIMP your way to some warm magical place. Learn to manipulate photos and transport your image into another. Get “Stuck in a Bottle” along the way.
- Spring Break Week (Library Open): March 9 & 11. No PNG this week.
- Video Game Madness: March 16, 18, 23, 25 & 30 (2.5 weeks). Write your own video game using. Discuss tips and cheats. Play Minecraft, Smash Bros, Mario Kart and more. Come and play even if you don’t like video games!
Senior Coffee Club
Time: 9:30 am
Join us as we welcome Jessica Conkey of the Carbondale Tourism Bureau. Come and discover Carbondale. At the Carbondale Public Library.
Computer Help Schedule for January & February
- TUESDAY EVENING OPEN HELP (January Only): Get help with any technology issue. Anyone is welcome. Tuesdays 1/6, 1/13, 1/20, 1/27 anytime from 5:00-7:00 pm
- OPEN HELP: Get help with any technology issue. Learn to use your computer, cell phone or tablet. See how to use your email or Facebook. Get help with downloading ebooks and audiobooks. Practice on our computers or bring your own. Anyone is welcome. Thursdays 1/8, 1/15, 1/22, 1/29, 2/5, 2/12, 2/19, 2/26 anytime from 9:00-2:00pm
- DOWNLOADING EBOOKS: Learn to download from our two services, eRead Illinois 3M Cloud Library and Southern Illinois Libraries on the Go. Tuesday 2/3 1:00-2:00pm
- DIGITAL CAMERAS: Take pictures and learn how to put them on the computer. We will practice together and see how it works. Bring your camera, cords and anything else. Tuesday 2/10 9:30-10:30am
- MOVING PICTURES & FILES: Learn how to select, copy or cut and paste pictures and files. First step for organizing those pictures. Bring your laptop or use ours. All are welcome. Tuesday 2/17 1:00-2:00pm
- IPAD 101: Get to know your iPad. Learn how to install and remove apps, videos and pictures. See what the iPad can do for you. All are welcome. Tuesday 2/24 9:30-10:30am
Bookmark Library Newsletter
See what’s going on at the library! Read the January-Fenruary Bookmark Library Newsletter!
Teen Calendar for January
- 1/6— Teen Tuesday (4-5pm): Laptops and chill!
- 1/20 — Teen Tuesday (4-5pm): Movie (title TBA)
- 1/29 — Teen Advisory Board Meeting 6-7pm
Wednesday Noon Book Club
If you are interested in joining the book club, it meets on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at noon. Anyone is welcome! You can view the Reading List for January 2015 – December 2015.
Brown Bag and a Book Discussion Group
Brown Bag and a Book Discussion Group is a group of book lovers that meets together every Monday at the Carbondale Public Library. Discussions are friendly and we try not to take ourselves too seriously. We keep discussions limited to one hour starting promptly at noon. Everyone is welcome. You do not have to be a Carbondale Public Library cardholder to be a part of the group. Just bring your brown bag lunch and one book to discuss/share to the Library’s Meeting Room on Monday afternoons at noon!
Family Vacation Night!
Feb. 2 at The Science Center, Mar. 2 at The Boys and Girls Club, Apr. 6 at The University Mall, May 4 at The Boys and Girls Club, June 1 at Turley Park, Aug. 3 at Evergreen Park.
Family Vacation Nights are sponsored by the Positive Youth Development Coalition (PYD), a coalition of organizations serving area youth. For more information about Family Vacation Night or PYD call Diana Brawley Sussman at the Carbondale Public Library 457-0354 ext 13 or Ramona Girtman at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Jackson & Perry Counties / Centerstone 618-457-6703 ext 216
Tax Documents for Taxpayers with Disabilities
Did you know the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides online tax products and services for taxpayers with disabilities? Individuals may visit the IRS Accessibility page (www.irs.gov/uac/IRS.gov-Accessibility) to download forms, publications, and other products and to access tax-related videos in English and American Sign Language. The IRS recommends checking the website often as it is continuously adding more products to assist persons with disabilities.
Kindles Available For Check Out
Did you know the library now has Kindle Touch ebook readers available at the library? All you need is a library card. Each are ready to go with 6 best sellers already on them. You can also create an account and load your own ebooks to the device from Southern Illinois Libraries on the Go.
Need help? There are online tutorials and instructions available. Come to any of the library’s Open Help Workshops. We can walk you through it. Give it a try it!
For Sale At The Library
Reusable Shopping Bags are $3 each. Choose from 3 different styles and colors. Logos created by patrons.
Available while supplies last.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE LIBRARY!
Morningstar Mutual Funds Now Available Online
Morningstar Mutual Funds (paper version) is being discontinued at the library. You can now access the online version from home or at the library.
- Click here if you are using a library computer.
- Click here to access from anywhere using your library card.
You will have access to their classic one-page summaries, as well as detailed mutual fund, stock, and exchange-traded fund analysed reports, real-time data, and investment tools.
This useful website and many others can be found on our website by clicking on the “Research” tab, located at the top of your screen.
Explore Your Family History at the Library
The Library’s Genealogy Resources: We have Ancestry.com, Heritage Quest, and African American Heritage Quest available. This useful website and many others can be found on our website by clicking on the “Research” tab, located at the top of your screen.
List of Scholarships for African American and Minority Students
We now have a List of Scholarships for African American and Minority Students for your use. Please let us know if you see that any of the links do not work or if you know of any scholarships that we should add.
Download eBooks, Audiobooks, Videos and Music from Southern Illinois Libraries on the GO!
You can now download eBooks, audiobooks, videos and music. All you need is your library card and pin number. You can check out up to 5 at a time on your computer, electronic book reading device, or smart phone. To check out items, go to Southern Illinois Libraries On The Go.
MUZZY ONLINE teaches English, French, Spanish, Italian or German. It’s the fun way to learn a foreign language.
MUZZY ONLINE, the award-winning BBC Language Course for Children is now available to CPL patrons through the library’s website using their 14-digit library card number. MUZZY ONLINE uses functional language, repetition and “spiraling”. Words and phrases are first introduced and then reintroduced many times in several new contexts. MUZZY ONLINE uses a natural immersion approach surrounding learners with visual, aural and contextual language, modeled on the way we learn our first language. It’s perfect for beginning to intermediate language learners of all ages.
Accelerated Reading List at AR BookFinder
AR BookFinder allows users to search for books in the Accelerated Reader (AR) program used by local schools. Books may be searched by title, author, reading level, interest level and point value.
Support Carbondale Public Library with a Schnucks Customer Card!
Pick up your Schnucks Customer Card at Carbondale Public Library.
Present your card to the cashier every time you shop at Schnucks.
When you shop, a percentage of money will be donated to Carbondale Public Library. Read More…
Online Payments and Donations
You can now pay fines, pay for lost materials, or make monetary donations online. All you need is your library card and credit card. It’s easy! You can now use your credit card at the library. Read more…