PROGRAM INFORMATION (TEEN SERVICES)
- GAME ON: TUESDAY, APRIL 24, 4-5:30 PM Join us for some friendly competition and a chance to win a Game Stop gift card. Join our teen MARIO KART COMPETITION on the Wii U. Matches will begin at 4:00 PM sharp and every entrant is guaranteed to play at least two matches. Don’t want to play? Feel free to come and watch.
- TEEN WRITING WORKSHOP: THURSDAYS IN APRIL, 4-5:30 PM Join Heather Weatherwax from the Saluki Writer’s Project for a series of creative writing workshops. Learn how to properly critique writing and provide constructive criticism for fellow writers. Open to students in grades 9-12. All genres and skill levels are welcome.
Meets 1st Friday of the month 10:30-11:00am. Anyone welcome. No library card or registration needed.
May 4: Managing challenging behavior
All trainings are provided by Dr. Erica Jowett Hirst, Ph.D., BCBA-D. Dr. Jowett Hirst is an Assistant Professor of Behavior Analysis and Therapy at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, a doctoral-level Board Certified Behavior Analyst, and a child behavior specialist with over 15 years of experience working with parents and children.
Making Music with the BELLETONES
Saturday at 10:00 am – 10:30am. MAY 19
Kids of all ages! Sing-a-long with Kids’ Classic Songs. NO REGISTRATION NEEDED.
PROGRAM INFORMATION (CHILDREN’S SERVICES)
- Family-Style Story Times. Tuesdays at 10:00 am. Ends April 24. Join Ms. Pat & Ms. Wendy for a weekly story time for 0 to 6 yr. olds. (Cancelled March 20.)
- Making Music with THE BELLETONES. Saturdays at 10:00 am. May 19. Sing-a-long with kids’ classics! NO REGISTRATION NEEDED! Kids of all ages!
- FREE Parenting Workshops. 1st FRIDAY 10:30-11:00 AM Led by Dr. Erica Jowett Hirst. May 4 – Managing Challenging Behavior.
PROGRAM INFORMATION (ADULT SERVICES)
- Brown Bag & A Book Discussion Group: Select any book (yours or the library’s) to share. April 23 & 30 from 12-1:00pm
- Book Club: Meets the second Wednesday of each month at noon. May 9 Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann Wednesday, April 11 at 12:00pm
- Saluki Writers’ Program: Free monthly fiction workshop for adults. Saturday, April 21 from 9:30-noon
- Knitting: Come to socialize, get help, and share tips. All experience levels welcome. Bring your own supplies. Meets April 23 & 30 from noon-1:00pm
- Open Tech Help: Get help with any technology issue. Learn to use your computer, cell phone or tablet. See how to use your email or Facebook. Get help with downloading ebooks and audiobooks. Thursday, April 26 anytime from 9-2:00pm
NOW ACCEPTING BOOK DONATIONS
Yes, we will take your book donations! Bring ’em on! Our storage building is fixed and we’re ready to accept your used books.
- Please call ahead if you need to bring a large collection.
- Please, no mold or mildew (If books were stored in a damp basement or a hot garage, or if they smell funny–no thanks.)
Thank you for all of your support!
MUZZY CLUB teaches English, French, Spanish, Italian or German. It’s the fun way to learn a foreign language.
MUZZY CLUB, the award-winning BBC Language Course for Children is now available to CPL patrons through the library’s website using their 14-digit library card number. MUZZY CLUB uses functional language, repetition and “spiraling”. Words and phrases are first introduced and then reintroduced many times in several new contexts. MUZZY CLUB uses a natural immersion approach surrounding learners with visual, aural and contextual language, modeled on the way we learn our first language. It’s perfect for beginning to intermediate language learners of all ages.
PRINT FROM ANYWHERE!!!
You can now print from any device (laptop, cell phone or tablet), yours or ours, home or at the library. You will pick up the prints from our library circulation desk. Printing is in black/white and $0.10 per page. Give it a try!
Brown Bag and a Book Discussion Group
Brown Bag and a Book Discussion Group is a group of book lovers that meets together every Monday at the Carbondale Public Library. Discussions are friendly and we try not to take ourselves too seriously. We keep discussions limited to one hour starting promptly at noon. Everyone is welcome. You do not have to be a Carbondale Public Library cardholder to be a part of the group. Just bring your brown bag lunch and one book to discuss/share to the Library’s Meeting Room on Monday afternoons at noon!
3M Cloud Library – New and improved ebook and digital audiobook service!
Now you can check out ebooks and digital audiobooks from one convenient place, the 3M Cloud Library! Our e-book consortium is moving its entire collection from Overdrive (Southern Illinois Libraries on the Go) to the 3M Cloud Library (formerly called eRead Ilinois). This will provide you with access to more than 32,000 e-books! These ebooks and digital audiobooks can also be found when searching the online SHARE catalog. To download the new service or for more 3M Cloud Library information, go to http://ebook.3m.com. If you need assistance or a walk-through on how to use the new service, come to Open Help. (You can see our calendar available dates and times.) When signing in for the first time, remember to choose “Illinois Heartland Library System” as your library.
You can also use the service online at https://ebook.yourcloudlibrary.com/library/illinoisheartland/Featured (Just remember to choose Illinois Heartland Library System from the list of libraries and systems.)
THE CARBONDALE HISTORICAL QUILT
The Carbondale Historical Quilt hangs is on display on the north ramp at the library. Finished in 1983, this quilt took 27 people two years to complete. The quilt is made up of 24 squares that depict important historical people, places and events from Carbondale, Illinois. Read More…
Have a library card from another town?
We no longer have a 5 item limit.
Now you can check out as many items as Carbondale card holders:
5 DVDs, 5 VHS, 5 video games, no limit on books and magazines!
Tax Documents for Taxpayers with Disabilities
Did you know the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides online tax products and services for taxpayers with disabilities? Individuals may visit the IRS Accessibility page (www.irs.gov/uac/IRS.gov-Accessibility) to download forms, publications, and other products and to access tax-related videos in English and American Sign Language. The IRS recommends checking the website often as it is continuously adding more products to assist persons with disabilities.
For Sale At The Library
Reusable Shopping Bags are $3 each. Choose from 3 different styles and colors. Logos created by patrons.
Available while supplies last.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE LIBRARY!
Explore Your Family History at the Library
The Library’s Genealogy Resources: We have Ancestry.com, Heritage Quest, and African American Heritage Quest available. This useful website and many others can be found on our website by clicking on the “Research” tab, located at the top of your screen.
Accelerated Reading List at AR BookFinder
AR BookFinder allows users to search for books in the Accelerated Reader (AR) program used by local schools. Books may be searched by title, author, reading level, interest level and point value.
Support Carbondale Public Library with a Schnucks Customer Card!
Pick up your Schnucks Customer Card at Carbondale Public Library.
Present your card to the cashier every time you shop at Schnucks.
When you shop, a percentage of money will be donated to Carbondale Public Library. Read More…
Online Payments and Donations
You can now pay fines, pay for lost materials, or make monetary donations online. All you need is your library card and credit card. It’s easy! You can now use your credit card at the library. Read more…