Enhancing Lives Through Volunteerism
Be a Volunteer:
- We want you. Please print and return to the library the Volunteer Application. It’s easy!!!
We Salute and Give A Special Thanks To:
About Volunteer Opportunities at the Library:
Duties performed by library volunteers are numerous and diverse. Tasks may be short-term, one-time only projects that can be completed in an interval or they may consist of long-term, ongoing projects requiring the assistance of many volunteers-each doing a small portion each time they are present.
Carbondale Public Library’s Volunteer Program has a core volunteer role shared by all volunteers. The duties are shared by many generalist volunteers and are assigned as the staff determines that they are necessary. In this way, volunteers will have the opportunity to try a variety of tasks or may focus on tasks suited to their skills. Volunteers may serve in a generalist role or may prefer to volunteer in a specific department of the library. Each department has a set of tasks and duties available to volunteers. Some volunteers may choose to perform one particular job each time they work in the library when the job requires specialized training or knowledge. This flexibility suits the needs of the library and the volunteer.
Examples of Ongoing Volunteer Tasks:
- Call patrons regarding book holds
- Shelve audio books and videos
- Assemble new patron packs
- Inventory books
- Assist with Partners in Reading
- Search database for books owned by Carbondale Public Library
- Sort books from temporary shelves in order on shelving carts
Carbondale Public Library
405 West Main Street
Carbondale, IL 62901-2995