Search for Grants
- Foundation Center Databases: Foundation Directory Online https://fconline.foundationcenter.org/ipl.php
Foundation Grants to Individuals Online http://gtionline.foundationcenter.org
Foundation Maps https://maps.foundationcenter.org
- Grant Forward www.grantforward.com (See a librarian for login assistance.)
- Grant Station www.grantstation.com (See a librarian for login assistance.)
Websites to Help with Statistics
- City-Data. Find city statistics including population, business, housing and crime, to name a few. www.city-data.com
- United States Census Bureau. Find city, county and state population and economy statistics. www.census.gov/#
- US Small Business Administration. Find business data and statistics including demographics and employment and income statistics. www.sba.gov/content/economic-indicators
- Illinois Youth Survey. Find information on a variety of health and social indicators including substance use patterns and attitudes of Illinois youth. iys.cprd.illinois.edu
- Grants.gov www.grants.gov Search for federal grants here.
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance www.cfda.gov
- Illinois Humanities Council www.prairie.org
- National Endowment for the Humanities www.neh.gov
- National Endowment for the Arts arts.gov
- National Science Foundation www.nsf.gov
- Fund-raising.com www.fund-raising.com Search for practical and unique fundraising ideas here.
- US Department of Education www.ed.gov/fund/landing.jhtml Search for education grants here.
Nonprofit Associations and Networks
- American Grant Writers Association http://www.agwa.us/
- Association of Fundraising Professionals www.afpnet.org
- Council of Nonprofits www.councilofnonprofits.org
- Donors Forum www.donorsforum.org
- Grant Professionals Association http://grantprofessionals.org/
- Illinois Attorney General’s Registered Charities www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/charities/index.html
- Illinois Resource Net www.illinoisresource.net
- Independent Sector independentsector.org
How to Use the Foundation Directory Online (Foundation Center Database) https://fconline.foundationcenter.org/ (Ask a librarian to log you in. You must be at the library to use the database.)
There are “Search Tutorials,” and many different ways to search the Directory. Here’s one method for finding relevant foundations and grantmakers:
- Click “Search Grantmakers”
- Under “Fields of Interest” click “view index”
- Choose one or more relevant terms. Mark the box that says “Exclude grantmakers not accepting applications. Click “Search.”
- Each Grantmaker’s assets and total giving will give you an idea of how much money they have to give. Foundations in your own state may be more likely to give to organizations within your state. Sometimes you can guess whether a grantmaker supports locally or nationally based on their name. You can organize your results by clicking any of the headings.
- Click on a potential grantmaker.
- Click “Limitations.” If your project would be excluded based on the limitations, move on to another grantmaker.
- Look at “Purpose and Activities” and other information in the record to determine whether this is a suitable grantmaker for you. When you find a suitable grantmaker, use the E-mail or Print/Save features in that grantmaker’s record, so you can refer to it later. Read through all of the information in a grantmaker’s record, then use the other workshop documents to guide you as you research and pursue any available grants.